Management, vegetable production & agronomy
What are you going to do?
As the Farm Manager (R&D), you will support the local breeding team to execute against their strategic plan. The team in New Zealand focusses on onion and pumpkin breeding.
Your strong communications and people management skills will help you to build sustainable relations between local and international teams, as well as external partners. As a team player, you will be able to support your colleagues to reach their objectives. You are a hands-on Farm Manager (R&D) and know how to guide the implementation of innovations and take initiative. Thanks to your experience and analytical skills, you recognize opportunities and make an impact. You work independently and report to the Station Manager in Australia.
As the team leader, you set priorities and give clear directions to your team about which activities need to be undertaken. You inspire and encourage your team members and foster change and innovation. Your focus on the optimization of processes, increases output and efficiency while reducing costs. As a Farm Manager (R&D), you are part of an international team, work in cross-functional groups and intercultural projects.
You are responsible for the crop management of the breeding and screening trials at our R&D station in Pukekohe. You manage the allocation and alignment of the resources of the R&D station, including:
- planning, coordinating and executing field and greenhouse activities based on the breeders’ and sales’ team inputs prioritizing, allocating and monitoring crop labor requirements in line with the trials’ objectives
- ensuring that all employees work in a healthy and safe environment taking care that the site complies with Enza Zaden’s internal, as well as local regulations.
- maintaining the facilities to the highest level of standards and giving input for new investments.
- contributing to the multi-year plan and annual budgeting for the R&D station.
In short, you:
- The team in New Zealand focusses on onion and pumpkin breeding but, ideally you have experience with vegetable production in general.
- You are a natural leader with management experience.
- You have with 6 to 8 years of experience in vegetable/seed production, preferably in the open field and in greenhouses.
- You have scientific knowledge of agronomic inputs required for vegetable production.
- You are able to work independently.
- You are a real team player with excellent communication skills
- You are innovative and continuously look for improvement of operations and processes
- You have an educational background in horticulture or agronomics (bachelor’s degree);
- You don’t mind flexible working hours
- Knowledge of sustainable, organic or regenerative farming practices will be a benefit.
Enza Zaden is a vegetable breeding company that develops vegetable varieties. We produce and sell the seeds of these varieties all over the world. Both for conventional and organic growers. In order to explain this properly (and as briefly as possible) we have made an animation
For more than 80 years we are working with the best that nature offers. We support this with state-of-the-art technologies to speed up our breeding process. That is really necessary, because currently the development of a new vegetable variety takes up 6 to 10 years.
The results? Strong, healthy, tasty and climate-proof vegetable varieties with higher yield per square meter and less need of crop protection products or fertilizer.
Our strength? More than 2000 passionate colleagues worldwide working together on the vegetables of tomorrow. Therefore, we continuously invest in knowledge and skills with our Enza Academy and under the flag of enzActive we organise various sports activities to stay healthy.
Please, send your application to our HR department, via the button below. For a confidential discussion on the role please call 0212442455 or send an email at email@example.com. Henk van Zyl is our Station Manager (Australia and New Zealand).
Questions that might be asked:
- Which of the following statements best describes your right to work in New Zealand?
- How many years' experience do you have as an agricultural manager?
- How many years of people management experience do you have?
- What is your level of scientific knowledge of agronomy in vegetable production?
- Which of the following Microsoft Office products are you experienced with?